CLOSE  |  020 8566 5522

Click to open the mobile navigation for Hudson Legal

Other Visas

Tier 1 post-study work

The Tier 1 Post-Study Work category was closed to new applicants in April 2012. This was a two-year visa that allowed students who had graduated in the UK to seek work and to work in the UK. Some people still hold Tier 1 Post-Study Work status and they may be able to switch to other visa categories, and we can give you advice on this issue.

Tier 1 general

This visa category was the scheme that replaced the Highly-Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP). The Tier 1 General visa scheme was itself abolished for new applicants in 2011 and no other scheme took its place.

You can no longer apply for or extend a Tier 1 (General ) visa. Family members can still apply to join you in the UK. You may be able to apply to settle in the UK once you have been in the UK for five years. You can still apply to settle as a Tier 1 (General ) worker until 6th April 2018.

Some people still hold Tier 1 General leave, and they may be able to extend their leave or to switch to other visa categories, and they may in some cases qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Standard visitor visa

The Standard Visitor visa has replaced the:

Family Visitor visa
General Visitor visa
Child Visitor visa
Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
Sports Visitor visa
Entertainer Visitor visa
Prospective Entrepreneur visa
Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa
You can apply for a Standard Visitor’d Visa if you want to visit the UK for leisure, business, or to take part in sports or creative events, or for another reason, for example, to receive private medical treatment.

A person from a “non-visa national” country does not require a visa to come to the UK on a visit; they can just come to the UK and seek admission as a visitor on the basis of their nationality. However, such a person may apply for a visitor visa if they are worried about being granted entry to the UK if, for example, they have bad immigration history. If the visa is granted this will facilitate their entry into the UK.

A person from a “visa national” country in all cases requires a visa to come to the UK as a visitor.

A visit can be for a maximum period of six months but it can be for any period of less than six months. Or up to 11 months leave for private medical treatment in the UK.

A visitor (whether they have a visa or not) must show as far as possible that they intend to return to their country at the end of their visit and they must also show that there are sufficient funds available to maintain them on their visit and that they have, or that they will be able to obtain, appropriate accommodation in the UK.

UK ancestry

A person who is a Commonwealth national aged 17 or over and is living outside the UK may be able to apply for a UK Ancestry visa if they can prove that a grandparent of theirs was born in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (it only needs to be one grandparent, but it must be a grandparent, not a parent).

This visa can be issued for up to five years and it allows the visa holder to come to the UK and work in the UK without restriction. As the rules stand at the moment, after five years as a UK Ancestry visa holder an applicant may qualify to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

There is no English language requirement for a UK Ancestry visa but there is an English language requirement for Indefinite Leave to Remain. Dependants may be included in the application.

Tier 5 temporary worker schemes / youth mobility scheme

Under Tier 5 there are various categories of temporary worker:

Creative and Sporting
(sportspeople, entertainers or creative artists)

Charity Workers
(unpaid charity workers)

Religious Workers
(for example monks, preachers, pastoral workers)

Government Authorised Exchange
(workers who come to the UK on a UK Government work exchange programme)

International Agreement
(workers who come to the UK on the basis of an international agreement (for example General Agreement on Trade in Services) or as private servants in diplomatic households)

These categories all require sponsorship from an appropriate official body and allow the visa holder to come to the UK to work on a temporary basis for up to one year, the length of time depending on which category it is.

The Youth Mobility Scheme is a separate scheme. It allows people between the ages of 18 to 30 who are living outside the UK to apply for a visa to come to the UK if they hold one of the following nationalities or citizenships:

New Zealand

Hong Kong

Republic of Korea
British Overseas Citizen
British Overseas Territories Citizen
British National (Overseas)

The visa will be granted for two years, and it allows the visa holder to work in employment and, to a limited extent, self-employment.

The Youth Mobility Scheme visa is a “once in a lifetime” visa; a person can only be granted this visa once.

Domestic worker

A domestic worker is somebody who is, for example, a cook, nanny, chauffeur or cleaner. A domestic worker who has been working continuously for an employer outside the UK for one year may apply for a Domestic Worker visa if their employer is coming to live in the UK, either temporarily or permanently, and they want to bring the domestic worker with them to the UK.

The Domestic Worker visa can be granted for up to six months and cannot be extended beyond that. Domestic workers are not allowed to bring dependants to the UK and there is no English language requirement.

Once in the UK, domestic workers may apply for an extension for 12 months if they are still required for further employment with the same or a different employer.For applicants who were admitted to the UK under rules in place before 6 April 2012 a settlement route is still an option providing they are able to satisfy English Language requirements for the same. For applicants who entered the UK under the rules in place after 6 April 2012 there is now only an option to make further leave to remain applications for a further 12 months at a time.

To find out more about the above, you are welcome to call us on 020 8566 5522 for a preliminary informal discussion of your matter. We may ask you to send us further information about your matter either by fax on 020 8566 5511 or by email at so that we may get a fuller picture of your circumstances.

After this initial discussion, you may wish to book an appointment for a full consultation via SKYPE or ideally at our offices located at 7 Central Chambers, The Broadway, Ealing, W5 2NR. We are directly opposite Ealing Broadway tube and railway station.

Ready to talk?

Call icon Call us on 020 8566 5522

Office hours: Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

Emergency Contact options

Call us now on
07932 625 998

Opening times
Office Hours

Monday - Friday
9am - 5pm

Contact us today
Get In Touch

Complete our
Contact Form